Job Opportunity: Safety Professional I (Full Time)
New Enterprise Stone & Lime Co., Inc. (NESL) is a privately held company, priding itself on being Pennsylvania’s largest aggregate producer/supplier and not to mention, leader in heavy highway construction. Founded in 1924, the company boasts over 2,200 employees helping to build America from the ground up! Headquartered in New Enterprise, PA, our footprint encompasses 59 quarries, 3 sand deposits, 30 hot mix asphalt plants, 19 fixed and portable ready mix concrete plants and 3 lime distribution centers throughout PA and Western NY.
And…we are GROWING!
We are seeking a Safety Professional I to provide health and safety support to several operations and projects located in eastern Pennsylvania, including but not limited to, the Lancaster, Leesport, Allentown, Scranton, Lewisburg and Harrisburg areas.
Primary Function: The Safety Professional I is responsible for the development and implementation of effective and sustainable safety and health systems and processes. The Safety Professional I will support NESL under the direction of the Vice President of Corporate Safety by providing leadership and direction in safety and health across multiple company divisions, departments, and sites.
Provides leadership and direction in safety and health across multiple locations and worksites
· Works closely with site supervision and management as a resource to help assure effective and consistent implementation of company safety policies, processes and procedures. Regularly communicates with supervision and management through the use of onsite and web-based meetings and phone calls. Substitutes for other Safety Professionals due to vacation, illness, leave of absence, etc.
· Acts as a professional resource for Regional, Area, and Project Safety Teams. Regularly participates in meetings.
· Provides support to operations management and the Risk Management Department regarding injury care management and the incident investigation process. Assists in the development of incident reports, root cause analysis, action item plans, and safety alerts / communications. Meets timelines and responsibilities associated with incident communication, reporting, and documentation process. Ensures corrective actions are documented per department expectations and provides follow-up reviews to ensure corrective actions are implemented.
· Uses incident and root cause data to perform trending analysis for responsible locations and worksites. Develops prioritized improvement recommendations designed to eliminate or minimize incident trends and risks within respective area of coverage.
· Provides improvement recommendations for safety processes, designs, procedures, and operating equipment.
· Provides support to operations during compliance inspection from regulatory agencies (MSHA, OSHA, NRC, etc.)
· Demonstrates good communication skills and works well in a team environment.
· Provides regular status updates on objectives, projects and other safety-related matters to the Vice President of Corporate Safety.
Develops, implements and evaluates the effectiveness of company safety and health systems
· Assists with development and implementation of company safety standards. Completes reviews and updates to existing safety standards as assigned.
· Performs behavioral-based and compliance-based safety observations / audits of responsible locations and worksites. Provides follow-up on deficiencies to ensure corrective actions are put into place to maintain site safety and compliance.
· Actively monitors and interacts with employees to promote safe behaviors and ensure compliance.
· Teaches and coaches employees toward safe behaviors; stops employees when unsafe behaviors are observed and coaches in the safe way to perform the task.
· Recognizes employees demonstrating positive safety behaviors.
· Assists in the development and implementation of emergency preparedness and response protocols and plans.
Assist in the management of company safety and health education / training system
· Develops educational / training lessons plans and modules and presentation materials
· Conducts training sessions
· Coordinates annual training schedules
· Publishes safety and health communications
· Maintains accurate records of employee training
· Coordinates third-party training classes
Completes administrative tasks related to the Safety Profession
· Maintains accurate regulatory documentation (OSHA 300 and 300-A, MSHA records, etc.)
· Maintains complete and accurate department records (Injury Detail Report, Statistical Summaries, Incident Reports, etc.). Makes timely updates to maintain accurate records.
· Completes individual and departmental objectives on time and with little supervision.
· Completes occupational health sampling.
· Schedules medical and health monitoring / testing.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Safety or Occupational Health Management or similar field; equivalent combination of experience and education.
· Certified Safety Professional (CSP), Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) or Certified Mine Safety Professional (CMSP) preferred.
· MSHA Part 46/48 qualified preferred – trained and able to train others.
· Valid driver’s license.
· 5 years safety experience in the construction/manufacturing industry preferred.
· Must be able to respond to emergencies after scheduled work hours and during weekends.
· Must be able to travel to multiple sites and projects throughout the assigned area of coverage. 80% travel is typical for this position.
· Must be willing to work weekends as needed to support operational needs and objectives.
· Advanced computer skills required (MS Office Suite).
· Previous experience with safety data management software system preferred.
· Is a reliable and dependable contributor to the team’s objectives; actively collaborates with the team and supports other team members as needed.
· Knowledgeable of regulatory requirements and can research regulations and standards (OSHA, MSHA); routinely pursues additional training and stays abreast of any changes in regulations or guidelines.
· Requires judgment in coordinating analysis of diverse information, reviewing recommendations, making decisions in order to resolve problems.
Developing Your Career at NESL You Will:
· Contribute to a sustainable future improving the lives of people and communities we serve;
· Collaborate in an open culture where sound values and dedicated people come together for greater results;
· Thrive in a people-driven family owned company with countless opportunities to learn and grow.
Benefits We Offer:
· Competitive Benefits Package.
New Enterprise Stone & Lime Co., Inc. is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, veteran status or other characteristics protected by law. New Enterprise Stone & Lime Co., Inc. is a background screening, drug-free workplace.
Minorities and females are encouraged to apply.
Interested candidates may apply by visiting the New Enterprise Stone & Lime Co., Inc. Career Center at the following URL: