Quality Control Manager
WE GIVE DOWN-TO-EARTH A WHOLE NEW MEANING
We’re Lehigh Hanson. Our products build cities and towns, including stadiums that hold thousands of fans, and bridges that support millions of vehicles. We have thousands of employees across hundreds of locations in the U.S. and Canada, making us North America’s leading supplier of cement, aggregates, ready mixed concrete, asphalt, and related construction materials.
We might be a big company, but we appreciate and encourage our people to share their ideas and help shape our future. We want every one of our people to play an active role in growing our business. With our diverse product lines and locations across North America, there are opportunities to explore different roles and work on a variety of exciting and interesting projects.
We’re a tight-knit team. While we strive to be the best, we do it with an attitude that is humble, accessible and down-to-earth. We don’t ask you to “fit in” to our culture. We invite you to add to it.
HERE’S WHAT YOU’LL GET TO DO
The Quality Control Manager is responsible for managing all QC functions related to the production and sale of aggregate products. The candidate will strongly support production staff in maximizing desirable yield while maintaining high-quality standards. They must also diagnose and provide solutions for common production issues as it relates to quality. He or she will also support the sales staff to recommend product solutions and respond to customer questions or complaints. The candidate should possess (or be able to obtain) applicable certifications (IDOT, INDOT, MDOT, etc.) and have extensive interaction with customers with minimal supervision.
The QC Manager supports field efforts, evaluates project specifications, reviews statistics and trends. Tracks and maintains data in a database. QC Manager performs statistical calculations to maximize product quality and performance. This position works in an office and/or laboratory setting as well as in the field at mining operations and customer job sites. The employee will work with Plant Managers to direct day to day activities of lab technicians and set appropriate goals.
This position will reside in Westchester, IL
- Responsible for QC in all of the IL and NW Indiana territory - including 10 plants
- 3 States (IL, IN, MI)
- Must be certified in all 3 states or willing and able to obtain certification in all 3 states within 1 year
- Responsible for monitoring product quality and consistency; drive policies / continuous improvement for QC and the management unit
- Oversee the QC function
- Work with operations to make adjustments as necessary
- Coordinate with management/operations/customers to schedule technical support for field and plant operations
- Work directly with customers at job sites and troubleshoot as needed
- Understand downstream products and how we can provide added value to customers
- Guide and develop technicians to meet objectives and goals
- Contribute to business strategy discussions relating to quality levels of LH sites vs. competitors.
- Assist operations with production yield and optimal crusher settings and screen arrangements and ensure all technicians are certified
- Maintain up to date knowledge of all governing specifications for aggregate products including IDOT, INDOT, and MDOT
- Maintain current knowledge of our products and their application in customers business (road construction, concrete, HMA, etc.)
- Perform physical tests of the aggregates at the plant and in the field as required
- Perform site surveys of labs and facilities to ensure high standards are maintained and identify solutions to problems
- Observe and record activities of outside testing agencies and contractors as they relate and affect both the fresh and finished product
- Develop and maintain excellent working relationships with customers, inspectors, sales, distribution, production, etc.
- Investigate and report complaints pertaining to quality or performance
- Keep a written daily log of activities and observations and report in writing to management as required. Note the misuse of products by hauler or customer and take measures to correct same.
- Drive and promote a culture of safety and promote a safe work environment.
- Ensure compliance requirements are met through organizational and procedural measures including implementation of Group guidelines, performing training, monitoring compliance, etc.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering or Science related field with a minimum of five years’ directly related experience in the crushed stone industry; or, an equivalent combination of education and directly related experience.
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills.
- Proficient computer skills and familiarity with Windows Microsoft Office.
- Ability to read and understand engineering specifications and drawings
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public
- Ability to work with mathematical concepts such as statistics and geometry
- Ability to apply concepts such as fraction, percentages, ratios, and proportions to practical situations
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule
- Complies with all federal, state and local guidelines.
Benefits & Compensation:
We appreciate that candidates have many questions when considering opportunities, so we want to let you know that we offer a comprehensive compensation and benefits package, which we like to share with candidates a little bit later in the process.